Crab Cakes: an easy recipe from Arte Culinario
Sometimes, everything I love doesn’t make it into print. So, although news on Arte Culinario, the insider food tours and cooking classes by chef Mavi Graf in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, made it into my Hot off the Grill column in Taste and Travel magazine, there wasn’t room enough to include the recipe or extra photos. It had been great fun shopping for ingredients in Puerto Vallarta’s Mercado del Mar and hanging out in Mavi’s kitchen. And the crab cakes? Amazing.
The crab cakes were one of those easy, delicious recipes I knew I’d want to make again and again, so here it is, in all its tasty glory:
- 500 grams crab meat
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 white onion (medium size)
- 1⁄2 tsp natural sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp finely chopped dill
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- Cooking oil as needed
- 1 Egg wash
- Mix all ingredients together. Let this mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before making the patties.
- Scoop tablespoons full of mixture and round them out to make patties, cover
- Dunk into egg wash, then on panko bread crumbs, then on to the hot cooking oil, about 1 minute on each side, until they are golden brown.
- You can make them ahead and freeze or keep them in an airtight container for up to 3 days and warm them up when you need them in a pre-heated oven at 170°C (375°F) for 15 minutes
Arte Culinario: During these food tours led by the lovely Mavi Graf, who also happens to be one of Puerto Vallarta’s top chefs, participants explore hidden culinary haunts meeting fish mongers, butchers and fruit vendors along the way. You’ll get a behind-the scenes look at bustling food stalls, then enjoy a cooking class featuring appetizer, entrèe and dessert with optional wine pairing.Book in advance.
Where to Stay: I stayed at the new Secrets Resorts & Spa Vallarta Bay, conveniently located beachfront between Old Town Vallarta and Marina Vallarta (where Mavi’s classes take place). It’s a culinary destination in its own right and the adults-only Preferred Club offers an upgraded suite, access to an exclusive lounge, special concierge service and other luxe amenities.
More Cooking Classes: For tips on improving your culinary skills, read Choosing a Cooking Vacation