Travel Deal: WestJet launches flights to Huatulco, Oaxaca for $499 return
It’s now easier and cheaper to get to Huatulco in Oaxaca, Mexico from Canada. As someone who’s travelled back and forth to Puerto Escondido three times in the past few months, I was thrilled to see WestJet airlines announce new seasonal direct flights from Lester B. Pearson (YYZ) to Bahías de Huatulco International Airport (HUX), a jaunt down the coast from Puerto Escondido. WestJet is also offering direct flights to Huatulco from Calgary. And these new flights are a real bargain. Here’s what you need to know:
How You’ll Save Time and Money:
- If your final destination is Puerto Escondido, Mazunte or Santa Elena, not only can you save money on your airline flight, you’ll save $100 USD (or more) a night both ways on hotels in Mexico City. Although both Air Canada and Avianca offer direct flights to Mexico City, they both arrive too late in the day to clear customs and connect with the Interjet or Viva Aerobus domestic flights to Puerto Escondido. This means you’re forced to overnight in Mexico City which can be costly. Check out my post on the Grand Prix Hotel: a hotel deal near Mexico City airport or subscribe to the A Taste for Travel newsletter for an upcoming review of the Fiesta Inn, my new favourite Mexico City Airport stay.
- These new direct flights to Huatulco on WestJet are currently being offered for much less than a flight to Mexico City on either Air Canada or Avianca plus you’ll also save the cost of a domestic flight on Interjet or Viva Aerobus, around $125 USD. But it’s worth noting that Air Canada also offers direct seasonal flights to Huatulco from Toronto and you can use Aeroplan Reward Points for travel.
- If you’re travelling to Puerto Escondido or Mazunte, you need to add in the cost of a taxi or bus from Bahías de Huatulco International Airport (HUX). See the Travel Planner for instructions on taking the Sur bus (cost is around $6 USD one way).
- Seasonal service to and from Huatulco, Mexico starts December 12, 2015 and ends April 30, 2016.
- Flights to Huatulco from Toronto depart on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Departure times are convenient. Flights depart at 9:15 am and arrive at 1:55 pm which means even if you’re travelling to Puerto Escondido or Mazunte, you’ll arrive before dark and can get to the beach for a margarita and a swim.
- A quick search and I was able to find a return fare for $487 CAD (including tax) for a two week stay in January 2016. But with fares this low, flights are going fast. Book early.
Great News for Snowbirds:
- Unlike Sunwing’s seasonal charter non-stop flights where travellers are stuck with short one or two-week stay if they don’t want to pay a fortune for the “special” extended stay fare, the new WestJet non-stop flights work well for snowbirds. I did a quick search and was able to find a flight for a 6-week stay for $516 CAD in the heart of the winter season.
All-inclusive Vacation Packages Available
- If you’re looking for an all-inclusive Beach Vacation Package in Huatulco, WestJet is offering five hotels (including one in Puerto Escondido) and two of my favourite hotels in Huatulco. Check out my reviews of Secrets Huatulco Resort and Spa (adults only) and Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa ( family-friendly). If you’ve never stayed at either resort, you can experience both hotels on an all-inclusive day pass.
- If you’re travelling to Puerto Escondido, Mazunte or Santa Elena from Huatulco airport ( HUX) you can take a safe, dedicated taxi directly from the airport to your hotel. This is the most expensive option so expect to pay a minimum of $100-$125 USD for up to four people to Puerto Escondido. But it’s also the fastest option at 1.5 hours.
- You can walk to the Highway 200 ( 5 minute walk but the sun is hot) and take a cheaper taxi. Expect to pay between $500 -800 pesos.
- Another option is to walk to Highway 200 and wait for the Sur Bus. You will need to have pesos and the ride will take a minimum of 2 hours.
- You can also arrange for your hotel to send a driver to pick you up. Gecko Rock Resort will send a driver who will meet you at the HUX airport gate, walk with you to the highway and transfer a group of up to four people to Gecko Rock Resort for $45 USD. Read the post on Escape to Gecko Rock Resort for a review of this all-inclusive boutique hotel option.