Fave e Cicorie alla Pugliese - Fave Bean Puree
Delicious Purè di fave e Cicorie - Fava Bean Puree with Chicory - is a traditional antipasti dish from Puglia, Italy. Made with dried fava beans, this healthy soul-satisfying vegan dish captures the best of the Mediterranean diet in both simplicity and flavour.
- 400 grams dried fava beans Preferably from Puglia Italy
- 1 bunch fresh chicory leaves Or other leafy greens like dandelion, endive or escarole
- 50 ml olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash dried fava beans well
Soak overnight or a minimum of six hours
Drain beans and place in a pot with enough water to cover the beans with at least two inches of water
Add salt and simmer, stirring from time to time, for 45 minutes to one hour until very soft
While the beans are cooking, trim the stems of the chicory by one inch. Clean well and cut in half lengthwise if the leaves are really long. Boil in salted water until tender (around 10 minutes) and drain ( reserving a small amount 50 ml of the cooking liquid).
Once the fava beans have finished cooking and are very soft, mash them until smooth. If the puree appears dry, add a bit of reserved water until very creamy.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve in a shallow serving dish with the boiled chicory on the side and crostini or crusty bread.
Note: Nutritional calculations are only estimates.
- For an especially creamy puree try fava beans by Bob's Red Mill. They've been blanched and the tough outer skin removed.
- You can substitute dandelion leaves for fresh chicory with good success.
- Belgian Endive is often called chicory but these small boat-shaped white leaves, while also deliciously bitter, are not suitable for this recipe.
- Adding a peeled potato at the end of the cooking process of the fava beans can help make the fava bean puree creamier.
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 1465mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2830IU | Vitamin C: 9.7mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 7.8mg