Healthy Beet Gazpacho with Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
This healthy beet gazpacho is a refreshing, cold beet soup featuring fresh beets, cucumber, onion, creamy yogurt and a splash of lime. A delicious and light soup for lunch or dinner, it's thickened with potato rather than heavy cream so is quite low in calories.
- 4 medium beets with stalk and leaves removed
- 1 potato large
- ¼ cup white onion chopped
- 1 English cucumber peeled and sliced, seeded if necessary. reserve some for the garnish.
- 3 Tablespoon plain yogurt
- salt to taste
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth homemade or low sodium purchased broth
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds or pepitas shelled and pan toasted
- ¼ cup diced cucumber - peeled and diced finely
- ¼ cup white onion diced finely
- parsley sprigs
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
Place the cleaned beets and potato in a large pot of water. Bring to a quick boil and lower heat to a simmer. Boil until fork tender and completely cooked. This should take around 45 minutes.
Remove the beets and potato from water and allow to cool. Once ready to handle, slip off their skins, then slice and chop into one-inch pieces.
Add the chopped beet and potato to a blender along with the chopped white onion, cucumber ( be sure you've reserved some for the garnish) and one cup of vegetable stock..
Purée until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
Add the remaining one cup of stock in increments until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. It should be super smooth with no identifiable pieces of vegetable and have the consistency of heavy cream.
Add the yogurt and lime juice, blend one final time.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chill the soup (covered) in the refrigerator for one hour to allow the flavours to develop.
While the soup is chilling, toast the pepita (pumpkin seeds) in a dry skillet until light brown.
Ladle the soup into small individual bowls, add a swirl of yogurt.
Garnish each serving with diced onion, diced cucumber, a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds and a sprig of parsley.
Nutritional information is created by online calculators and the figures are only estimates.
- Gazpacho should be very creamy so I recommend using a high powered blender or immersion blender to puree this soup.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 746mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 145IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 2mg