Easy Green Chile Eggs and Cornbread
This Green Chile Eggs and Cornbread recipe is a fantastic way to use leftover cornbread. It’s made with toasted corn bread topped with baby spinach, melted cheese, green chiles and fried (or poached) eggs. This healthy twist on traditional Eggs Florentine makes a hearty Southwestern style breakfast.
Saucepan or frying pan
- 4 slices cornbread
- 1/2 cup green chiles canned or homemade
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 red onion - chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Slice each piece of cornbread in half (lengthwise) through the middle. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 3-4 minutes or until they become crispy & brown.
In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the chopped onions and saute for a few minutes or until they become tender and translucent.
Chop the spinach (if pieces are large), add to the pan and turn off heat. Toss together in the pan until spinach wilts.
Top each cornbread toast with the cooked spinach and onions. Add freshly grated cheddar cheese and return to the oven under the broiler for another 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
To plate: Serve each person with 2 slices loaded cornbread. Top with a cooked egg (poached, fried, or your preference), along with a Tbsp of green chiles.
Nutritional information is created by online calculators and figures are only estimates.
- For best results, prepare this cornbread and egg recipe immediately before you plan to serve it. If you think you're going to have a hectic morning, toast the cornbread a day in advance.
- Just add hot sauce if you want some extra heat!
- Swap poached or scrambled eggs for the fried eggs.
- For a decadent version, smother it in Hollandaise sauce and then top with green chiles.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 194mg | Sodium: 319mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1929IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 247mg | Iron: 1mg