Ensalada de Nochebuena (Christmas Eve Salad)
An easy, colourful salad traditionally served as part of Christmas Eve dinner in Mexico but delicious any time.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 medium beets boiled, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole oranges peeled and sliced
- 1 large red apple Gala or Delicious, peeled and sliced
- 1 whole pomegranate seeds only
- 3 slices fresh pineapple cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime
- 1 cup jicama peeled and thinly sliced optional
- 1/2 cup pepitoria pumpkin seeds toasted in a skillet
- 1 cup lettuce romaine or meslun
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise Hellman's
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Prepare all the fruit (except apple if doing in advance) and chill separately
Prepare jicama (peel and slice) if available
Line a salad dish or plate with lettuce leaves
Fill the bowl wth prepared fruit or arrange the chilled fruit on a plate
Mix salad dressing in a glass jar, shake and drizzle over fruit
Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and toasted pepitoria
Squeeze the juice of a lime over top
- If you can't find jicama, it's possible to substitute another crisp vegetable such as fennel
- If you have extra pomegranate seeds just store them covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- Unopened pomegranates stay fresh in the fridge for up to three weeks so stock up while they're in season!
- Extend this salad by using mixed greens as a base. Just double the dressing, toss the extra with baby kale or arugula salad and layer the beets, oranges and other fruit on top.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 276mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 40.4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.4mg