We may earn income from affiliate advertising links in this post. Please read our Disclosure Statement for details.
This collection of today’s best canned salmon recipes is proof that tinned salmon doesn’t have to be boring!
From salmon nachos, salmon sliders, pasta with salmon and more, these modern recipes are fun, easy to make and delicious.
Canned salmon also happens to be high in protein and packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fats making it a great option when you’re looking for a nutritious meals from shelf-stable ingredients in your pantry. There are even some fantastic paleo, GF and low carb recipes to choose from!
How to Shop for Canned Salmon
According to nutritionists, salmon is one of the best canned foods to have in your pantry. It’s versatile, resists spoilage and is relatively economical.
But there are important food safety guidelines to consider when choosing, storing and using canned goods:
- Check the quality of the packaging. Don’t purchase cans that are dented, leaking, cracked or have bulging lids.
- Watch for BPA. Bisphenol A is a synthetic compound used in the lining of canned foods. Although most manufacturers have stopped using BPA to make their cans, it’s worth being extra safe by choosing canned foods labelled BPA-free.
- Although canned foods aren’t required to display a best before date, many do. Avoid cans that are dusty or have ripped labels as that may indicate they’ve been on the shelf for a long time.
- Pink, Sockeye, Chinook and Chum (Keta, Chub) salmon are caught in wild fisheries in the Pacific Ocean while Atlantic salmon is usually farm raised.
- Look for canned salmon with the blue MSC label which means the fish is from a fishery certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). This certification standard considers best practices for sustainability of fish stocks, environmental impact and effective fisheries management.
You Might Also Like These Seafood Recipes
- Crab Cakes from Arte Culinario in Puerto Vallarta
- Smoked Trout Platter Appetizer with Horseradish Cream Sauce
- Cream of Sardines with Smoked Salmon
Save to Pinterest!