Ultimate Playlist of Best Mariachi Songs to Request
If you spend any time in Mexico or Guatemala, you’re going to need a list of the best mariachi songs to request. These roving musicians are an essential ingredient for a fiesta, birthday party, romantic dinner or beach day under a palapa on one of Mexico’s beautiful beaches.
Listen to Famous Mariachi Songs in Guadalajara
The first time ever I heard a mariachi sing was at a dinner club in Guadalajara, the heart of the mariachi world in Mexico. I was seated in the front row surrounding a raised wooden stage and every time the mariachi stomped his cowboy boot, vibrations would ripple across the stage down into my toes. He sang of love, loss and betrayal and looked straight into my eyes. It didn’t matter to me that he was portly, wore a shiny, sequinned shirt and big sombrero, by the end of the first set I was madly in love.
My swooning turned out to be the beginning of a bout of food poisoning and I spent the remainder of my 3-day stay in Guadalajara, on the floor at the Hotel San Francisco Plaza, Although I left Guadalajara without seeing my mariachi again, the memory of his songs stayed with me.
Insider Tip: Volaris Airlines now offers direct flights between Guadalajara and Puerto Escondido so you can create the perfect combo of mariachi music and beach time on your next vacation in Mexico!
Best Mariachi Songs to Request at Parties or the Beach
Since then we’ve enjoyed mariachi music at La Palapa de Carrasco on Manzanillo Beach in Puerto Escondido. While they are officially known as roving troubadours (they’re not officially mariachis because they’re not wearing charro suits or accompanied by a full orchestra) it’s still handy to know a few of the best mariachi band songs to request so you don’t listen to endless rounds of Cielito Linda.
Do you want a happy mariachi song or one of the classic romantic mariachi songs? Knowing which mariachi songs to request can help set the mood you want to create – be it upbeat to dance to or set a romantic atmosphere for you and a loved one.
Given my husband is from Guatemala (and not everyone wants to listen to the song Soy de Zacapa), to create our playlist we appealed to our friends from Mexico City for advice.
Together we came up with a playlist of canciones that were sad, political and wildly romantic. There were even a few cumbias perfect for dancing in the sand, especially once Don Pablo served a round of mescal shots.
Here’s a list of the most popular mariachi songs to request at a birthday party, a Cinco de Mayo party, Day of the Dead or beach day. They include top mariachi songs for dancing, fun mariachi songs and love ballads plus a few of the most famous mariachi songs.
List of the 20 Best Mariachi Songs to Request
1. Para Siempre
2. Urge (Vicente Fernandez)
3. Maria Isabel
4. Mujeres Divinas (Guaranteed to make you sob)
5. No Vale la Pena
6. La Media Vuelta
7. Sabor a Mi
8. Te regalo una rosa ( Juan Luis Guerra is Dominican but many singers know this song)
9. Y Te Vas and El Amor (Touching songs by Jose Luis Perales but also sad)
10 El Son de la Negra ( lively)
11. Soy de Zacapa ( if you’re in Guatemala)
12. El Mariachi Loco ( best for dancing)
13. La Negra Tomasa (a cumbia that’s fun for dancing )
14. Malagueña (sad )
15. Si Nos Dejan
16. El Borracho ( speedy and great for dancing )
17. Las Mañanitas ( for birthdays)
18. Cielito Linda ( deservedly famous)
19. Volver, Volver ( made famous by Vicente Fernandez)
20. Guantanamera ( a last resort)
21. La Llorona – A traditional Day of the Dead mariachi song most often heard on Dia des los Muertos
The Most Upbeat and Happy Mariachi Song for Dancing? El Mariachi Loco
Wondering about the best mariachi song for dancing? Check out this version of El Mariachi Loco …it’s guaranteed to make you want to get up and dance!
How Much to Pay a Mariachi Band for Hire
10 Tips for Hiring a Mariachi Band:
- Determine how many musicians you want.
- Decide on a budget. In Guatemala we recently paid 800 Quetzals ( $110 USD) for six musicians for an hour. In Canada, the cost is usually $300 CAD for a minimum of two hours ( including a break)
- Decide what time you want them to arrive. Don’t get them too early as you want to be sure all your guests have arrived before they start playing.
- Arrange transportation such as a mini-van for the mariachis if they don’t have their own.
- Determine if cost is per song or by the hour. You can usually count on 12- 15 songs per hour.
- Create sufficient space for the musicians to play and for a dance floor.
- Appoint a person to welcome the mariachis, request the songs, identify the guest of honor and arrange for the comfort of the mariachis ( drinks, food, washroom facilities)
- Have a list handy of the best mariachi songs to request
- Expect to serve the mariachis dinner if the gig is for more than an hour.
- Tipping isn’t generally expected but is welcomed if they play extra songs.
Finally, at the end of your event, note which songs were the most popular among your guests – the best mariachi songs are the ones that get people up dancing or singing along. Be sure add those songs to the list at your next event.
Do you have a favourite mariachi song? Let me know. I’d love to add it to our list of the best mariachi songs to request!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY
Essential Puerto Escondido Travel Guide to best hotels, beaches, things to do and day trips
Disclosure: A Taste for Travel participates in affiliate advertising programs. Read more on our Disclosure Page.
Updated: December 2017