We may earn income from advertising links in this post. Please read our Disclosure Statement for details.
Looking for romantic things to din Cancun? When it comes to romance, you can’t go wrong with the Caribbean coast of Mexico. The white sand beaches, clear blue waters and rich Mayan culture create a naturally romantic backdrop.
And with its prime location and wide selection of romantic hotels, one of the top spots for couples happens to be Cancun.
Here are our top picks for the most romantic things to do in Cancun for couples.
1. Swim in a Cenote or Underground River
Plunging into the silky waters of an underground cenote is one of the most romantic and unforgettable things to do in Cancun for couples. Float hand in hand through the emerald depths of Río Secreto.
Adventurous couples can explore four natural underground pools in one day on the Tour Xenotes Oasis Maya excursion you can visit four different cenotes and enjoy a range of fun activities like kayaking, zip-lining, rappelling and snorkelling.
Another cenote that will amaze you by its size is located in the heart of Valladolid, a colonial city that’s an easy day trip from Cancun. Read about Why Valladolid is Mexico’s Next Best Destination
Insider Tip: Read our update on seaweed conditions in Cancun before choosing a resort or hotel for your romantic getaway. Since 2015, Mexico’s Caribbean coast (and many Caribbean islands) have been experiencing large quantities of sargasso seaweed. Get sargassum seaweed maps, safety tips and forecasts on Cancun and Riviera Maya seaweed before you book.
2. Sip Mexico’s Sexy Spirit
The Kama Sutra can’t be wrong – wild honey is a potent aphrodisiac! Couples on a honeymoon in Cancun will want to pick up a keepsake bottle of this honey liqueur. Rekindle your romance or end it to dizzying heights with a splash of Xtabentún, a regional liqueur made of anise and fermented honey in the Yucatan.
Another way to try this golden elixir is in a Xtabentun cocktail at Nizuc Resort and Spa, a sensual retreat set on a nature preserve in a secluded pocket of Cancun.
Check availability and rates at Nizuc Resort & Spa on Booking.com.
3. Take a Romantic Helicopter Tour of Cancun
A scenic helicopter ride for two is one of the top things to do for couples at any destination. It’s even more special in Cancun. In episode 5 of Season One in the popular Netflix reality series Love is Blind, Cameron and Lauren’s helicopter flight was the best date of the series!
Spotting sea turtles, dolphins and manta rays while you soar above the turquoise waters cuddled in a luxury helicopter is both exciting and unforgettable. A scenic helicopter tour at sunset is one of the top places to propose in Cancun as well!
4. Float in a Gondola under the Moonlight
Be serenaded by traditional Mexican love ballads while gliding in a trajinera (gondola) along 7.4 kilometres of Venetian-like canals at Xoximilco Cancun. This attraction pays tribute to the legendary Xochimilco floating gardens of Mexico City with festive colours, folklore and cuisine.
This is definitely more of a fiesta than a solitary trip for two. But there’s nothing quite as romantic as dancing under the stars to live music.
While gliding through the canals, impress your loved one by consulting our playlist of the most romantic mariachi songs to request from one of the mariachi bands.
This is definitely one of the top things to do in Cancun at night.
5. Escape to a Romantic Hotel in Cancun
Whether you’re on a honeymoon, celebrating a milestone birthday or anniversary or just looking for time together, choosing the most romantic hotel in Cancun is the key to a perfect couples getaway.
- Pamper yourselves at Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf Resort & Spa in Cancun, home to one of the best hydrotherapy circuits in Cancun.
- You also can’t go wrong with Secrets The Vine Cancun, one of our top choices of the 5 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in Cancun-Riviera Maya. With three infinity pools, curtained Bali beds and no all-inclusive wristbands, Secrets The Vine is made for romance. This adult-only hotel is in the heart of Cancun’s hotel zone but is a world away from the Spring Break crowd. With a no-reservations dinner policy, a 4,500 bottle wine cellar and 24-hour room service, you’re free to focus on each other. If you’re already in Cancun and would like to check it out, it’s worth looking into a Day Pass to Secrets The Vine.
- Another very romantic hotel in Cancun is at Nizuc Resort and Spa, a sensual retreat tucked on a peninsula in a secluded pocket of Cancun. Although it’s also considered a family-friendly resort, it has an adults-only zone that’s ideal for couples.
- For a luxury hotel that’s comes with its own beautiful beach, try the Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun. Upgrade to the concierge Club Floor level and enjoy the appetizers, snacks and treats along with the spectacular views. Coral Beach is one of the most private beaches in Cancun. In addition to its calm and swimmable waters, it usually receives less sargassum seaweed than other beaches in the area.
6. Indulge in a Libido-Boosting Romantic Dinner for Two
For a night of seductive cuisine, take an adult-only sunset cruise of Cancun’s Nichupte Lagoon and dine on fresh lobster. Low in fat and high in protein, potassium and zinc, this decadent crustacean is packed with libido-boosting powers.
Another romantic spot to dine is within the restaurants located within the Hotel Grand Fiesta Americana Cancun. At the Five Diamond Le Basilic, you can watch a work of art be created by the hotel’s talented resident painter, dine on fresh ceviche and other fresh seafood at the oceanfront restaurant Isla Contoy.
For even more adult fun in Cancun, opt for an evening of Mexican cuisine at the stylish La Joya restaurant where traditional mariachi players serenade at dinner along with a spectacular light and sound show.
The light and sound spectacle at La Joya is an unforgettable, high-tech show. It draws on Mexican motifs, traditions and history for inspiration.
It’s quite unlike anything you’ll else you’ll find in Cancun and memorably romantic. Be sure to book in advance.
7. Bathe in Warm Chocolate at a Luxury Spa
Early Mayan hieroglyphs suggest cacao was prized for its aphrodisiac powers. One of the top things to do in Mexico is sample the deep, rich, taste of fine Mexican chocolate at one of several Ah Cacoa Chocolate Cafes in Riviera Maya and Cancun.
For couples, at the Spa by Pevonia at Secrets Playa Mujeres you can indulge in a sexy spa treatment that includes a full body chocolate and mint scrub. It will be followed by a luxe wrap so moisturizing you’ll feel as though you’ve been dipped in a chocolate fondue.
Check availability and rates at Secrets Playa Mujeres Resort & Spa on Booking.com.
8. Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride Over the Pyramids at Chichen-Itza
For couples looking to avoid the crowds (and the long drive), there’s the option to take a private jet from Cancun to Chichen Itza and be in the heart of the Mayan world in just 20 minutes!
Once there, you can book a scenic Balloon Ride and see the incredible expanse of jungle and one of the seven new wonders of the world from the air.
To make it even easier and stress-free, all entrance fees, drinks and snacks are included. A limo transfer to the airport elevates the experience even more.
9. Take a Private Catamaran Tour to Isla Mujeres – Island of Women
One of the most romantic things to do in Cancun is to take a private luxury catamaran tour to Isla Mujeres, enjoying cocktails, snacks and time sailing together in the sunshine.
Another top tour for couples is a sailing excursion to a secret sandbar near Puerto Morelos. Swim in the clear blue waters, relax over lunch and even try paddle boarding for two on the calm sea.
10. Visit the Smart is Sexy Museo de Cancun
For a day of intrigue, spend an afternoon at the stylish Museo Maya de Cancun designed by Mexican architect Alberto Garcia Lascurain. The building’s sexy curves hold a treasure trove of art collected by the National Institute of Anthropology and History.
The Mayan Museum of Cancun and the Archaeological Zone of San Miguelito is located in the heart of the Hotel Zone at Km 16 on Boulevard Kukulcán. It’s also a bargain as the admission cost per person is just 70 MXN pesos (less than $4 USD). Note that museum is closed on Mondays.
More Romantic Things to Do in Cancun, Mexico
And that’s not the end of things to do in Cancun for couples! Read these posts for more vacation ideas including hotels, beaches, special events and day trips in the Riviera Maya.
- Ultimate List of the Most Romantic Hotels in Mexico
- 3 Reasons You’ll Love a Day Pass to Dreams Playa Mujeres Cancun
- Top Places to Eat in Playa Del Carmen
- How to Celebrate Day of the Dead in Cancun
- Top Girlfriend Getaways in the Caribbean
Save to Pinterest!